The intention of this Masters Project is to create Concept Art suitable for a 2D Platformer Game inspired by South Korean mythology with a focus on Creature Design.

Portrait Study: Dosa Tiger

Above is a portrait study of the Dosa Tiger. I have tried to make it actually look like a portrait, keeping in mind the final product of my Masters Project. My final product will be a 'found document' from the land where/when "Tigers Smoked". I imagine that it is like a lost journal that someone kept while studying the species that inhabit this world.

This is a kind of style test. The daily style exploration that I did during the first three weeks of the project helped me develop a textured technique that still had a strong sense of light. Below is one of the most successful experiments based on a folk painting from Korea. The portrait above was a two hour study, so it is less chaotic than the experiment below. Is this an improvement, or does the style look better below?

I used this watercolour study below by Iain McCaig as inspiration for the subtle colouring and the aesthetic of the paper.

McCaig, M. (2011) Untitled [Watercolour on Paper]. Available at: http://johnageeb.blogspot.co.uk/ (Accessed/downloaded: 30 June 2014).